We recognise that the public sector equality duty has three aims and they are to:
- Eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment and victimisation, and other conduct under the Act.
- Advance equality of opportunity between people who share a protected characteristic and those who do not.
- Foster good relations between people who have a shared characteristic and those who do not.
The Rookeries annually reviews how well we achieve these aims with regard to the protected groups under the Equality Act (2010) (race, disability, gender, gender re-assignment, age, pregnancy and maternity, marital status, religion and belief, and sexual orientation.). We believe that the Equality Act provides a framework to support our commitment to valuing diversity, tackling discrimination, promoting equality and fostering good relationships between people. It also ensures that we continue to tackle issues of disadvantage and underachievement of different groups.
We publish equality objectives which show how we plan to tackle particular inequalities and reduce or remove them.
- To ensure that staff and SPRBs are aware of current legislation surrounding equality and diversity.
- To promote mental health awareness and develop appropriate interventions, where necessary.
- Actively close gaps in attainment and achievement between students for all groups of students, especially students eligible for Pupil Premium, students with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities, children in care and students from minority ethnic groups.
- Monitor the incidence of the use of homophobic, sexist and racist language by students in our school.